Technical Content Writer for Software Topics
We are looking for Technical Content Writers to join our team. Your minimum requirement is 1 article per week. You can join our team on a part-time or a full-time freelance basis.
Why work as a technical content writer?
Some software jobs need months of stressful onboarding to be productive. Maybe you have to learn how to use yet another text editor - you might need to adopt a new coding style before you can see any results for your effort.
You get up to speed faster than usual and feel productive sooner than joining a development team. And you still learn about tech, be it programming, algorithms, or software development practices, with much less pressure than if you were coding.
In addition, we often hire developers who want to change things up a bit from a life of “just coding”.
Writing articles about what you do and enjoying researching other technologies can bring a refreshing change to your work. It is also great for your ability to increase your breadth of knowledge, as well as how to explain things better, which is an invaluable tool for anything you want to do in the future.
Each article you work on is a short project that you can finish in a few days. Once it’s done, you have a chance to review what went well and what you can improve. Writing is a great way for you to learn, grow, and put a visible mark on the industry. You get portfolio credit for your work. Wizard on Demand believes in supporting you as your career progresses in the future.
Occasionally we have staff who are about to finish coding careers and want something part-time that still values their experience while giving them some flexibility in their schedule. We find that freelance developers often find that adding writing to the mix is highly rewarding and can often give a renewed sense of enthusiasm for software and computer science.
What is it like to work with us?
Watch our recruiter Ryan and our founder Alexey discuss the Wizard on Demand company culture and the basics of how we work.
The work you’ll do with us
As a technical content writer at Wizard on Demand, you will be able to try your hand at any of the roles listed. We like to fit your work around what you do best, so your job will evolve to suit your skills.
- Research topics on software development, programming languages, and artificial intelligence.
- Put together outlines for articles on those topics.
- Write articles based on outlines.
- Review other writers’ articles and provide feedback to help them improve their articles.
- Receive feedback from other writers and our technical editors and address the feedback in your writing.
We have an open and progressive style of working. We value feedback and are always looking for ways to improve our processes and tools. When you join us, we look for constructive feedback from you on how we can do things better.
What you need for us to hire you
These are a must-have for us:
- A background in computer science, data analysts, software development, or other areas of technology. This includes past jobs, side projects, university degrees, academic research, or anything in between. You don’t need to be an expert, but you do need to have enough knowledge to be able to research a topic (with guidance) in this field in order to be able to write about it.
- Great written and spoken English. You’ll be creating high quality articles in English for native English readers. You’ll need to be a CEFR C1 or equivalent in English.
- Your own laptop which you can work on, plus a quiet space with Internet access that you can work from (your home, the university library, a café, etc).
- A positive attitude towards working in a team in a remote-only environment.
Tools We Use
Wizard on Demand runs using Slack and Asana as our communication and teamwork tools.
How to apply
Please fill out the form below and answer the following application questions:
- What is you background with tech?
- Please tell us an interest or two that you have outside tech.
- If you’ve written online before then send us an example. If not, don’t worry we assess every candidate using a fixed test task. We also give training on how to write articles in our style.
- What kind of work schedule are you looking for?
The Team At Wizard on Demand